Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breastfeeding


Ok, sorry if this is more than you ever wanted to know about me but I have to get it off my chest (ha ha, get it?) I nursed Claire until she was 14 months old. It was really hard at first, I can remember crying about it, but I never gave up and I'm so glad because some of my favorite memories of Claire as a baby are when I was feeding her. So I thought by the time Aubrey came along I was a pro at it...not so much. She never really latched on correctly (maybe it is because of her small jaw). At her 4 month check up she had only gained a pound and a half in two months. The Dr. suggested I supplement a few feedings with formula and weigh her again in 2 weeks to make sure she is gaining. he did not pressure me...he is a great Dr. Well, Aubrey LOVES drinking formula from a bottle and after a week I can already tell she is rounding out more. What a relief right? Well, I can't seem to stop beating myself up about "quiting" and that I was not giving her enough to eat when I was exclusively breastfeeding her. I also hear comments from friends about how much better breastfeeding is for your baby. I get advise from almost everywhere and I finally just had to decide what I think is best for Aubrey. Thank God Brad is supportive either way! I mean, Clarie was breastfed and she still ended up with a peanut allergy, was in the hospital for dehydration from an illness and so on...all the things that are not supposed to happen if you breastfeed. Aubrey is thriving on the formula...she is rolling over now and is much more alert and HAPPY. No more gas either!!! So I am am currently weaning her from the breast. I am anxious to see the Dr. next week to see how much she has gained. I will miss our feedings together, but I know this is the best for both of us!

9 comments:

amy said...

You are an awesome mom and have made the best decision for your baby! No judgements from this mommy ;)

Grandmom said...

You and Alli were Formula fed, Joey breast fed.....see no difference at all...you already passed on all the good stuff to Aubrey, so all is good. Believe me, hon, there will be alot of things you will second guess yourself about, but this shouldn't be one of them.

Shepard said...

Don't beat yourself up over this. I know you want what is best for Aubrey and it turns out formula is it. She is precious! Keep up the good work. :)

Czarina said...

I think the best thing you can do for Aubrey is to be the best mom you can be for her. And making decisions like changing to formula are hard ones - especially when you love breastfeeding - is part of it. You are doing a great job! The best thing about formula feeding is that Brad can do night time feedings now!! HA!
You're such a great mom and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!

Unknown said...

Love this post. You are an awesome Mom ~ enough said:)

Heather said...

Daniel was formula fed and he is thriving. Just keep being the great mom that you are. :) God will take care of all the other stuff. Brad and I were formula fed too.... and I think we turned out alright, well... I did anyway. ;)

etphonehome21 said...

I know what a hard decision it must have been, but your doing what's best! Who knows maybe she'll turn into a rolly polly baby. :)

Marissa said...

Lisa, you are such an awesome Mom. You are doing a great job and I know you are doing what's best for your precious little girl! Making decisions like that can be hard when you feel the pressure and scrutiny of the people around you. I felt that when I had to stop breastfeeding Liberty. And hey, she turned out ok...right :)

CJAS said...

Proud of you for handling the situation so well ! Look at Aubrey Jane's sweet smile on that pic !! She's beautiful and happy to have such a caring and wonderful mommy who always puts her daughters first. Way to go !! big hugs ! Can't wait to find out how much weight she's gained . .. she's getting rounder :)