Monday, August 22, 2011
My Hero
About a week ago I was watching the news and there was a story on the famine in Africa. Claire was walking through the room and it caught her attention too. Together we watched the story of how many people, so many of them just babies, are dying of disease and starvation. Claire asked me what was wrong with those babies and I told her some people are not as lucky as we are and they don't have enough to eat. She didn't understand and kept asking why they don't have food to eat. A tough topic to discuss with a three year old and as a mother I can't even imagine what it's like to watch your child starve and there is nothing you can do about it.
So today (a week later) Claire found a penny and I told her to put it in her piggy bank. I have told her many times that she can save her money to buy something fun like a book or toy. Then she said "Maybe we can buy those babies some food with my money". I was so proud of her. We dumped out her money, sorted it and counted it. $21.50. I told her she could help a lot of kids with her money and she said "Yeah because I am a super hero". Yes she is. I donated the amount to UNICEF.
When I worked I would get reviewed so I would know if I was doing a good job. There are days as a Mom when I wonder how I am doing. Today Claire showed me that I must be doing something right...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
A beautiful story....I am so proud of you both.
That is awesome! Very proud of both of you ... and I would rate you "Exceeds Expectations".
I love this! What a great sister and niece I have!
i agree with Brad....that means you get a raise:) Wonderful post....glad you captured and shared it:)
Claire is so generous and smart ! What a beautiful story. You really are a WONDERFUL mom :)
I'm crying. That is so incredible! Proud of you and Claire. Gracie uses her coins for gum. :)
You should be so proud of her and of you! And remember you have pregnant hormonal friends that read you blog - namely - me - so making me cry at 6am is not very nice :-)
Post a Comment