Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baby Signs

Yesterday Claire and I began a six week baby sign language class! The instructor and five of our friends and their babies came over to our house for the first lesson. The instructor used a big stuffed bear named Beebo to demonstrate the signs by sitting behind it and putting her arms through the bear's t-shirt so that it looked like Beebo was doing the signing. It worked like magic because all of the kids were paying very close attention...either that or they were scared, it was kinda hard to tell the difference. Actually, Claire loved the bear and kept going up to Beebo and resting her head on him. Of course, my daughter the ham crawled right up to the instructor, sat in front of her and began doing all of her "tricks" (clapping, waving, the sign for touchdown which Brad and I taught her awhile ago in preparation for Tech games). After I called her a show-off we were able to begin. This class was themed around eating. We learned the sign for eat, drink, bib, cereal, milk, all done, more, please, thank you, play, happy and Daddy. I have been working really hard with Claire on these signs and I can't wait for her to be able to communicate in a whole new way with us! As soon as she starts using some signs I'll try to get some pictures!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

That's awesome, Lisa. We used some sign language with Mallory too. It was great way to communicate until they can talk.
The class sounds really neat. We just taught her ourselves but I like the idea of having someone there to teach you.

amy said...

Claire is so smart she will learn them all in no time!